I saw this recipe demonstrated while attending the Pennsylvania Farm Show as part of my Cooperative Extension rotation during my dietetic internship. I tweaked it just a tad…and served it with tilapia instead of a pita.
Salsa Salad with Black Beans
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 medium can black beans
- 1 bunch green onions, cleaned and sliced
- 2 tsp. cumin powder
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 3 Tbsp. low-fat Italian Dressing
- 2 Tbsp. oil
- 1 Tbsp. vinegar
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 package pita bread
- Place rice, beans, tomato, lettuce and green onion in a medium mixing bowl.
- Add seasonings, dressing, oil and vinegar and mix lightly.
- Cut pita in half and fill with 1/2 cup salad and serve. You can also cut pita bread into 8 triangles and place on a baking sheet. Spray with vegetable oil spray. Bake at 350 degrees until crisp. Let cool and serve with salad.
Note: I didn’t use cumin. Instead, I added cilantro and used real garlic rather than garlic powder. I left out the lettuce as well since I served it over tilapia.